Named a “Road Trip Must Have” and one of the “Best Travel Apps for Kids”, the Roadside America app comes highly recommended. This app essentially functions as a travel guide, ensuring the best of each area you visit is known to you.
The road can get monotonous, and it’s near impossible to research every sight on the road between destinations. Luckily, Roadside America provides insight into the unusual places you can discover along the highway:
- World’s largest and smallest sights
- Strange museums, graves, statues
- Bizarre architecture, obscure history
- Route 66 signs, tourist traps, odd theme parks
- Mystery spots, gravity hills, caves, unnatural wonders
The app allows users to check their maps for nearby oddities and drop pins in order to navigate to them. The interface also allows users to search by attractions, addresses, or browse upcoming cities. Browsing by theme is also available, with options such as music, celebrities, tech, and more.
The lists are user and editor curated, with feedback from users being a key component. Users can even submit their own sights, meaning the app stays up to date and comprehensive.
One drawback of the app is that users are asked to select a region when first downloading the app. After that first region is selected, the user must then pay for additional regions, meaning seasoned travelers and long distance roadsters will end up paying more in the long run than the upfront price.
The base price of the app is $2.99, with each additional region being priced at $1.99. All Access is the best way to go for those looking to use the app for long distances, as this access to all regions is $5.99. The regions offered through the app are as follows:
- Northeast – Delaware, DC, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
- Southeast – Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- Midwest – Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin
- Southwest – Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah
- California – California, Alaska, Hawaii
- Canada – Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, PEI, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Yukon
Make the most out of your road trip with Roadside America!